Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:47:36 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        saeedeh motlagh <saeedeh.motlagh@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vlan without ip address
References:  <CAN%2BS=WDLmHuP=V616rtO7mnuzEgOt5GuYMZ4SsxgCWYdUF007g@mail.gmail.com> <CACVs6=-N5%2BL-8Q00sC_hgo=DBYudHT0a%2BQCykAzbiesOyNZZAw@mail.gmail.com> <CAN%2BS=WDd%2BRzhYcMYQCysxuMX5wM5iazw-fBY-W3RPppc3QhRYQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALoU1UMsjMLaXivejT3%2BCmd7XyvkMtmuy6H75PJASuyYjqXDwg@mail.gmail.com> <CAN%2BS=WDXBgfevY5U8LEY3iyssOt385Jps-7D0ijHPU9RZ2VbWQ@mail.gmail.com> <CABk4_A4YG=H9=v4s9u%2BgXtQUqnmmRQVvCcryFJ%2BaL6bNou-7fg@mail.gmail.com> <CAN%2BS=WBenp6k9=qQjvdrPDqjdT3z%2BS2t5o9xyzVteDS28gBnpg@mail.gmail.com>

On Dec 19, 2011, at 12:52 AM, saeedeh motlagh wrote:

> you're right but we can't assign tow parent interface to one vlan in
> freebsd therefore i define two vlans with the one vlan id.
> although we can do it by blow command but it's not work too:
> ifconfig gbeth0.10 create
> ifconfig msk0.10 create
> ifconfig
> gbeth0.10: flags=3D8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 =
mtu 1500
>    options=3D3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
>    ether 00:27:0e:03:4b:2f
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
>    status: active
>    vlan: 10 parent interface: gbeth0
> msk0.10: flags=3D8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 =
mtu 1500
>    options=3D100<TSO4>
>    ether 00:30:4f:63:5a:bc
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
>    status: active
>    vlan: 10 parent interface: msk0
>=20
> you know when i define vlans with ip addressess they work as i =
expected but
> i want to know if i can define vlan without ip address as the switch
> beacuse i wanna configure a freebsd box as a real switch in my =
network.
> maybe it's impossible to do that :(

Take a few minutes to think out (and describe to us in detail if you =
really want useful input) your network topology. What interfaces do you =
have on the FreeBSD machine and what are they connected to? Which =
interfaces should carry tagged traffic? Which interfaces should carry =
untagged traffic? How many VLAN's exist? Which ones does the FreeBSD =
machine care about? (i.e. which ones will it be tagging/untagging for?) =
Traffic for other VLAN's can pass through the box but you don't need to =
create VLAN interfaces for them. You need VLAN interfaces only for those =
VLAN's where:
	The FreeBSD box itself should communicate on one or more =
specific VLAN's (and/or provide services, etc) -OR-
	The FreeBSD box is sending/receiving untagged traffic on one or =
more interfaces and should untag/tag it as needed for other hosts.

Once you've got that figured out, configure your bridges and VLANs as =
follows:

Any physical interface that carries traffic for multiple VLAN's should =
be considered a "trunk" port. Traffic on trunk ports is tagged.
If you only have one trunk port, it shouldn't be in a bridge at all. If =
you have more than one, all of your trunk ports should be members of a =
single bridge (the "real" parent interfaces).
If you don't want the FreeBSD box to do any tagging/untagging then =
you're done. However it sounds like that is not the case..

Now create VLAN interfaces off of the trunk bridge (or interface if just =
one) for only those VLAN's this machine cares about.
For each VLAN that should do tagging/untagging for a physical interface, =
create a NEW bridge device. Add to the bridge the untagged physical =
interface(s) and the appropriate VLAN interface from the trunk.
If the FreeBSD box itself needs to communicate on one or more specific =
VLAN's, configure it to do so using the bridge device created for that =
VLAN (if any) or the appropriate VLAN sub-interface of the trunk bridge =
(if not shared with any untagged physical interfaces).

In short, you should only have ONE trunk device, whether it's a bridge =
or a single interface. You don't need to create a VLAN interface for =
VLAN's this machine doesn't care about. ALL of the VLAN sub-interfaces =
you do create should be children of the trunk device. VLAN's that have =
untagged interfaces should be in their own bridges with those =
interfaces.

HTH,

JN

<jmallett@freebsd.org>