Date:      12 Nov 1999 00:53:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeType and TrueType Fonts

Gene Harris <zeus@tetron03.tetronsoftware.com> writes:

> I am examining the use of freetype to provide rendering for
> truetype fonts.  Does anyone have any experience beyond that
> provided in the handbook and other archives?  Any advice or
> how-tos would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Why am I doing this?  I really like the screen shots from
> the freetype web site.  The fonts are beautimous!

It's probably useless to the rest of the list, but since someone reading
the archives later on (does anyone actually _use_ the archives before
posting anymore?  I'm really curious), here comes one nice freetype
application for X11 users.

I am using FreeType to render TT fonts in certain `useful' sizes for my
web-browsing.  This started when I realized that X11 had no Greek fonts
and I had to do some hacking of my own to make my X show my native
language with that nice TT fonts my friends let me copy from their
installations of that `other' OS.

So far, I have found really useful the *ttf2bdf* program found in the
contrib/ directory of freetype's tarball.  Used with the Unicode maps
found at ftp.unicode.org I did manage to make 256-character fonts with
the proper iso-8859-7 encoding from the Unicode .ttf fonts.

Then it's just a matter of a proper pipeline, like:

	% bdftopcf cour10.bdf | gzip -9c -> cour10.pcf.gz

and a nice wrapper script, and it's all going just fine.

Now, someone might ask why not use a font-server like xfsft and/or xfstt
that provide one with dynamic rendering of needed sizes, and all that.
My short answer is: because it's slow on my machine.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]