Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:59:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        cwasser@v-wave.com (Chris Wasser)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrating QMAIL in the world

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 05:21:24PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> > While it is fantastic that FreeBSD comes out of the box so fully
> > functional, it does make it a bit of a pain for those of us who intend
> > to build servers - we have to disable the original before installing a
> > new package.  :-/
>
> man mailwrapper

No, that's not what I'm talking about.  If you want to install the latest
Sendmail, what do you do?  (hint: it has nothing to do with mailwrapper)

I'd like it to be something like:

# pkg_delete sendmail; pkg_add sendmail

Right now, to do a chrooted sendmail, not only do you have to remove the
pre-existing sendmail:

# chmod 000 /usr/sbin/sendmail /etc/sendmail.cf (etc etc)

but you also have to do some things to install it chrooted someplace safe.

Some of us also view the concept of having to actually change executables
within the base system as something nearing criminal.  I _really_ like the
idea of mounting my systems RO and very secure.  Changing modes on files
doesn't bother me so much, but I'd prefer not to do it.

The ideal situation would be where sendmail did not come installed by
default.
--
... Joe