Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:11:59 -0100 (GMT)
From:      Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ApplixWare vs. StarOffice

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Doug White wrote:

> We're drifting a bit here but what the heck ;-)
>
> Anyone out there tried ApplixWare and StarOffice and have any opinions?
> I'm in desperate need of a word processor and don't want to clog my laptop
> with MicroSlop Word while I'm trying to sell it.
>
> My previous experience with the StarOffice betas was not enjoyable.  The
> installation was confusing and some features were broken for the English
> case, such as the SmartQuotes.  (There are no separate `` and ''
> characters in the X font set, but it does have the German << and >>.)  I
> also had trouble with it crashing intermittiently and with graphics
> artifacts and a generally unstable interface.

Idem for me. It frozes my X server while playing with.

> ApplixWare is cheap for students ($80!) and apparently has a nice word
> processor and spreadsheet modules.

Words and spreadsheet are nice and works well (althought, i was not able
to build a graphic with a zero offset but may have missed the point in doc).

Compared to StarOffice, the interface is simpler but the whole product
have very powerfull tools. Also, import/export has more filters (Word
6/7, Excel 5, etc...).

I think that Applix has build a word processor with similar way of use as
((M$(tm) Word(tm))(tm))(tm), but StarOffice is more a pure copy of the
M$(tm) products(tm) inferface. (Same buttons, presentation, etc..)

In that way, Applix lets you understand you can avoid using M$ systems
on your desktop, and StarOffice SHOW you that you can. (or helps you show
that you can, if you seewaimeen).

Pro/cons :

Applix :
    Pro:
	- Pure X11, quality look, worked fonts.
	- Low memory use
	- Fast
	- Good integration (insert anything, anywhere, at anytime)
	- Easy to install
	- bunch of supported language (spell checking)
	- On-line doc

    cons:
	- poor graphic charter
	- RPM distrib for Linux.

StarOffice :
    Pro:
	- Immediat use from the M$(tm) World(tm)
	- Nice style applyer window (really good idea !!).
	- good charter (exactly like PP(tm))
	- Usefull Word processor
	- Free for personnal use
	- Lighter disk usage.
    cons:
	- Motif (??, i mean : Why !!)
	- Hang sometime (It's motif) and, preferably, after having grabbed
	  your mouse 8(.
	- Poorer speadsheet
	- lack of integrations between modules
	- slower and uses more memory (motif again).
	- lack of language support (only Full with German, with some funny
	  forgotten messages (funny only, no nogo).).

> Presentation graphics is nice but not necessary.  The word processor is
> the priority.

Graphic in applixware is near pure bullshit. It can't label an object
(draw a box then center a simple text on it : you will need to produce a
paragraphe object then center it in the box by hand. If you use the text
tool, you will have a *resizable* texte !!). Centering object with the
grid lacks precision, can't draw a simple arc with arrows, etc....

This can be a problem if you need to quickly produce a graphic to be
inserted in a document: don't expect good results without spending
some time.

I would recommend to start with StarOffice, play with it, convince
yourself it's possible to drop M$, then, buy Applix if you start writting
volume docs (and want security) or if you want phase-out M$ from your
company (Applix have a really nice Java presentation applet for their
products, so no need to replace all your PC's).

Thanks for your attention, Unix-hu-Akbaar.

-----

tm: Registered Trademarks of (M(tm)i(tm)c(tm)r(tm)o(tm)s(tm)t(tm))(tm)
(Happy billy(tm) ? ;)