Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 22:03:18 PST
From:      "the beavix" <beavix@hotmail.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial port oddnesses in -CURRENT

	Hi guys,

I've got an Intel PR440FX dual-PPro motherboard, and am having some
problems regarding serial ports in -CURRENT (which I built 3 days ago).

Nov  8 13:53:34 ether /kernel: sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 121)

That's the 121st message I've got so far, and pppd has only been running
for <10 minutes. I think I might have traced the problem, here's a quick
snippet from dmesg:

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 8250
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

Now what puzzles me if that any serial port should complain, it should
be sio0, not sio1. What is similarly strange is that sio1 is not being
used, it's been disabled in the BIOS.

All I am running is an external Banksia 56k modem (connecting at 33k6),
which hangs off of sio0 on the board. For one reason or another, BIOS
won't let me set sio0 to use COM1 (even though I have a PS/2 mouse), so
I'm stuck with COM2 for sio0. sio1 has been set to disabled in the BIOS,
and there's nothing hanging off of the connector.

Here I am puzzled. You can't use an external modem on a serial port if
it's disabled, so why am I getting sio1 errors when the modem is using
sio0?

I've tried disabling sio0 and using sio1 from the BIOS, but this hasn't
worked either. sio1 can take COM2 if sio0 is disabled; and when I try
this, cu just sits there with "Connected" but doesn't take input. The
modem doesn't seem to respond.

Any ideas? Info would be greatly appreciated!

--

beav.