Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:32:13 -0600
From:      Parc <neal@rigney.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Several oddities on a new Sis-based laptop (wi and keyboard problems)

I've got a Winbook J4.  I've managed to get most everything working, but there
are still two nagging problems that I'd love to get solved.

First, I've got an integrated Accton 802.11b card:
wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xe8006000-0xe8006fff irq 9 at device 5.0 on pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:30:f1:4b:5d:c4
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.1.0), Station (1.4.2)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

I can successfully set the ssid on this card, but as soon as I try and send a packet, it appears
that the machine locks up.  However, on further investigation, VT switching still works, as does
console buffer (Pause/pageup pagedown).  Typeing anything else gives no response.  It appears that
other processes are running, as I see periodic disk activity (i.e. a background compile).  No
screen update will occur.  The power key no longer functions, however, removing AC power shows
the expected console message for power management.

The second problem is that pressing CTRL_ALT_BREAK appears to shut the machine off.  It actually
looks more like it goes into hibernation, but I have yet to find a way to bring it out of this state.
Pressing the power button has so far either resulted in a running but apparently dead machine or
the machine immediately turning itself back off.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

--
"This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a
period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission,