Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:54:21 -0800
From:      David <davidd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ICQ Through NAT

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 04:40:51PM -0400, Matt Rudderham wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been having trouble using ICQ on Windows Clients going through my
> FreeBSD 4.0-Release box running natd / ipfw. I've done a search of the
> archives, one suggestion was adding some redirect ports 5000-5031, that
> being done, it didn't make a difference. The problem only seems to occur
> when communicating with other users who are behind a firewall.  I'm thinking
> maybe a proxy would fix the problem. I've never set one up before, could
> anyone recommend one? I've heard lots about Squid. Of course if anyone can
> offer a solution that doesn't involve a proxy I'd be quite happy:)
I have ICQ working and have the following 2 rules in my ruleset for ipfw:
# Allow ICQ Server Packets
add allow tcp from any 5190 to any via tl0

# Allow ICQ Client-to-Client communications
add allow tcp from any 1024-65535 to any 1024-65535 in recv tl0

I would also suggest installing /usr/ports/net/socks5. This is not required to get ICQ working but it definitely gets ICQ
running better. Without socks5 you'll appear to everyone on your list to drop on and offline every few minutes.

--
|> /\ \/ @
davidd@datasphereweb.com
DataSphere - Back end web programming, site security, and networking

david.daugherty@netmanage.com
Software Engineer
NetManage - The Bridge to E-Business

http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~doc
ICQ: 21106703

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past"
                                   -Thomas Jefferson