Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:43:18 +0100
From:      Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD HD4250 on BETA3 / KMS does not wake up from screen saver

Hi all,

I just installed BETA3 and kde4 and new xorg via ports.

I'm running an amd danube laptop (acer 5553g) with hd4250 and hd5650
cards.

The hd4250 works ok, but on wakeup from screensaver it will not accept
any input nor show any movement on the screen (e.g. the clock is stuck).
I can still move the mouse.

The machine is responsive, I can restart kdm via ssh and everything
works as expected.

For now, I've deactivated the energy mgmt feature of kde (sorry, I've
the german ui and just unsetting LANG still gives me the german text :(

Any idea how I can debug this?

Actuall, I had the screen freeze on me one time while working (switching
between multiple firefox popups) but this hasn't happened again, so I
hope that was a one-time glitch...

Thanks for any help and/or debugging tips,

Mathias

P.S. The discrete card, an amd hd5650 shows no picture at all. the
server log looks ok, but all I get is a blank screen :( Not too bad,
since BETA3 runs a lot hotter than 9-stable and with cpu *and* 5650 the
laptop would turn to a lump of molten plastic...

P.P.S.:

% uname -a
FreeBSD marcopolo 10.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #0 r257580: Sun Nov  3
19:43:01 UTC 2013     root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/NaEQXYBH
loader.conf: http://pastebin.com/bnmqPak3
rc.conf: http://pastebin.com/HKERzgde
xorg.log: http://pastebin.com/qkZFbXqH
xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/HKERzgde
(this one is slightly chaotic. I tried hard to get the correct card to
be recognized, also I didn't have time to clean it up properly for the
new driver. This worked perfect on 9-stable with the old xorg, and also
seems to work fine on the new one. X doesn't start without an xorg.conf,
it doesn't know which card to choos, I guess.)

Anything else I can provide?

One more datapoint. If I disable the internal graphics card like i did
in 9-stable (see http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=29448) the
card doesn't work at all, it just shows a black screen.