Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:03:09 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, zfs-devel@FreeBSD.org, ivoras@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make ZFS use the physical sector size when computing initial ashift

On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:

> If others are interested I've attached this as it achieves what we =
needed here so
> may also be of use for others too.
>=20
> There's also a big discussion on illumos about this very subject ATM =
so I'm
> monitoring that too.
>=20
> Hopefully there will be a nice conclusion come from that how people =
want to
> proceed and we'll be able to get a change in that works for everyone.

Hmm. I wonder if the simplest approach would be the better. I mean, =
adding a flag to zpool.

At home I have a playground FreeBSD machine with a ZFS zmirror, and, you =
guessed it, I was
careless when I purchased the components, I asked for two "1 TB drives" =
and that I got, but different
models, one of them "advanced format" and the other one "classic".

I don't think it's that bad to create a pool on a classic disk using 4 =
KB blocks, and it's quite likely that
replacement disks will be 4 KB in the near future.=20

Also, if you use SSDs the situation is similar.

Borja.