Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:15:11 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        anderson@centtech.com, Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Western Digital HDs

> From: anderson@centtech.com (Eric Anderson)
> Date: Mon 28 Jan, 2002
> Subject: Re: Western Digital HDs

> I've actually had nothing but problems with the Fujitsu's we have (SCSI).  I
> don't like their drives at all.. I buy IBM's for IDE, and Seagates for SCSI.

Weird.  In the past twenty years working with computers (including a stint
at administering workstations and servers), _all_ of the drives I've known
to die have been Seagates (most of those were supplied by Sun, I avoid
them as much as WD and Connor myself).  Never witnessed a dying Quantum,
Maxtor, Fujitsu, IBM (crossing my fingers for my DTLA now, though...).

It's an insignificant statistic (probably talking about 2% of only a few
hundred drives), but impresses on me...  On a smaller scale I personally
own about 20 drives, of those I've ever powered on, and of those two are
Seagates, one dead and the other [Barracuda] relegated to a cupboard
unpowered because of the noise it makes, replaced by a whispering Fujitsu;
all the rest are powered up and working, some after 9 years' duty).

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses