Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:37:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ed Kern <dag@dag.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation on a 486-2/66

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Chris Fedde wrote:

> I'm interested to see that you are attempting to install FreeBSD on such
> old hardware.  I have a few motherboards like that laying around and have
> concidered using them as say dedicated home automation controlers.

I've got an old 486DX/33 running 4.0-STABLE with a 2 GB drive and 40 megs
of ram.  It's used primarily as a shell server for pine and irc, and it
also hosts a few small web sites and an ftp site.

It's amazing what you can do with some old hardware and FreeBSD.

I started with 16 megs, but it was paging out quite a bit.  I picked up
some cheap, used 4 MB 30-pin SIMMS on eBay, and now it's happier.

`make buildworld` takes about two days, though..

Ed.