Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:38:45 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        paras dagli <paras_dagli@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd login question

> I have a pc with freebsd installed at my house. I
> haven't used it for about a year now, and I have
> forgotten the password to login. is there anyway for

Hmmm..I hate it when that happens ;)

> me to find out what that password is anyway for me to
> login to the system?

try the FAQ, section 8.20 :-)

you can't "find out" your password as such, unless you
wrote it down or someone else knows it of course, but
the FAQ section above basically says to do the
following:

drop into single user mode by typing -s
at the boot prompt, then mount your root filesystem
and run "passwd root" to change your root password..

..and that's all there is to it !

Regards,
- Cillian