Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 01:09:25 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Seppo Kallio <kallio@beeblebrox.cc.jyu.fi>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   gus pnp and FreeBSD 2.2 ....

*****ONLY FOR PEOPLE NOT USING THE GUSPNP DRIVER*******

Can anyone who has the gus pnp driver working on 2.2 please send it
to Seppo....

If you are running FreeBSD-2.2 , it is possible to init the gus pnp on
DOS and then soft boot to FreeBSD and use the old GUS driver .

The requirements to do this are:

1. You have to be able to initialize properly the GUS PnP on DOS and
   this means you got to have a motherboard with PnP support.
   You must use dma channels 1 , 2, or 3 on DOS. Your configuration
   for DOS must match the configuration on FreeBSD.

   Your <kernel> configuration file should look like this:

controller      snd0
device gus0 at isa? port  0x220 irq 11 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

    After proper initialization on DOS you must soft boot to FreeBSD
    in order to preserved the initialization state on the GUS PnP.
    If you power-cyle the machine, the GUS PnP will forget its
    activation and configuration. This is a correct behavior
    for PnP devices.

--------
Note:
   At work, I failed to recognized my GUS PNP on FreeBSD with the old
   sound driver because the motherboard did not have proper PnP support.
--------

2. With the *old* sound driver on FreeBSD-2.2 , modify in
   gus_wave.c/gus_wave_init:

  {
      /*
         * It has the digital ASIC so the card is at least v3.4.
         * Next try to detect the true model.
       */

      val = inb (u_MixSelect);

      /*
         * Value 255 means pre-3.7 which don't have mixer.
         * Values 5 thru 9 mean v3.7 which has a ICS2101 mixer.
         * 10 and above is GUS MAX which has the CS4231 codec/mixer.
         *
       */
           val = 66;
	Add the above line

This simple patch will force the sound driver to say that the GUS PnP
is a GUS MAX.

If you don't have proper PnP support on your motherboard just
simply wait for the guspnp driver to be released for FreeBSD-2.2-current

	Hope this helps,
	Amancio