Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:40:36 -0500
From:      Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
To:        stevenam@mindspring.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Coping Free BSD for a fee

Open Source Software Development, by definition, infers that it's free !!!
Why not just provide the link on your web site instead of charging people
for a copy of free software?  How long do you think it will take them to
find out about www.freebsd.org and when they do, what do you think their
going to say about you?  How much (free) help do you think you're going to
get on the FreeBSD list servs?  I'm really not threatening you, but merely
making you aware of what I consider a natural consequence of your actions.

I suggest you develop some intellectual property of your own and then, by
all means, charge people for it.  That's what capitalism is all about and I
fully support it.  IMO and that of our federal justice system so far, has
determined that Microsoft has operated illegally.  They yell INNOVATION, but
when you do the research you find they've only developed one program that
never really sold very well (disk utility in the 80's).  Today when they say
"...the freedom to innovate," they mean freedom to buy or "borrow" like they
did with the original Apple Corp.

FreeBSD, like a handful of others, is driven by a vision.  That vision is in
the best interests of real computer users worldwide and opens the doors for
real competition in the OS market.  Consider your choices here.  I urge you
to jump in with both feet and support the vision.  Innovate your own
software instead of riding on the coat tails of others and charging people
to do it.

Mark