Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:33:41 -0800
From:      "John M. Zwiebel" <jzwiebel@cisco.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        chein@cisco.com, ravi@cisco.com, jzwiebel@cisco.com
Subject:   ATX motherboard and SoundBlaster

Hi folks:

I have an ATX motherboard that has a built-in SoundBlaster with the
optional Yamaha Wave chips.  It doesn't have the SB Midi or the sb 16.
I'm trying to get vat to run.

cat <file> > /dev/audio works great and mpackets received by the PC
are process by vat and output correctly.

The problem is that the mic.  A right click on vat results in the scale
maxing out whether a mic is plugged in or not.  I was able to get a brief
response on a remote system (ie the speaker scale maxed out for a second).
But after the first few packets (23 according to the vat stats).  It all
dies.  No more packets are sent unless I quit and restart vat.

Is it because I have the kernal probe for devices that aren't there?
The kernel recognizes that they aren't so that shouldn't be a problem should
it?  I'm running a 3.0-SNAP version (uname below).  I have a 2.2-SNAP
kernel that works fine (but of course, that's on a different mother board).

Thanks

Here's the current config file:

# Sound boards for the built in ATX motherboard
controller	snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
#The DSP 16 driver and the MIDI are not on the ATX board
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
options	SM_GAMES
options SBC_IRQ=5		#PAS-16. Must match irq on sb0 line.

Here's the dmesg for the board.

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
joy0 at 0x201 on isa
joy0: joystick

Finally,

# cat /dev/sndstat
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995 freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
(SoundBlaster16 at 0x0 irq 65535 drq 5)
(SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 65535 drq 4294967295)
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 65535 drq 4294967295

Audio devices:
0: SoundBlaster Pro 3.1

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3