Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:35:53 +0000
From:      Markus Kovero <markus.kovero@grafikansi.fi>
To:        Incoded@MyRealbox.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am a newbie

Are 13yrs old people in highschool? :-p

Greets Markus Kovero

Robert wrote:

>My name is Robert. I am 13 and I want to use a bsd distro because my of =
best friend uses it and he says you can really get into it deeper than an=
y closed OS like Windows and its stability is greater than any other OS i=
n the world. He likes worshiping BSD and wrote this cool program that hel=
ps my Dad at home so he can work but stay home with my brother who is sic=
k very sick with cancer.  Well I am in high school and I would like to do=
 something with BSD for my high school project and impress the whole scho=
ol with how deep I can get into your OS by controlling a robot or making =
an interface like the one my friend made for programming a simple robot. =
 None of my other freinds in school even know about UNIX or BSD or any of=
 tat enough to be what my friend Ean calls himself -a purist. He says to =
love BSD alone and seperate it from the rest of the pack you have to be a=
 purist.  I am no sure totally what he means by OS purism? What does it m=
ean to be a purist and like BSD so much because of this belief? Also I wa=
s checking out BSD on the web at the OS world and I dont get something. I=
 dont get why you guys call your OS FREEBSD when OPENBSD is free as well.=
 I just dont see why there is two different OS's here within BSD. What is=
 the difference. Which one should I get into. I am not interested in star=
ting a huge company or anything like my Dad who needs one network over se=
as and another in the US and another somewhere else for the oversight peo=
ple and some huge linkup to space for something he does with the satellit=
es. I just want to see what makes Unix so special and powerful and not cr=
ash ever you know? Maybe get religious about it.  Maybe i want to use it =
for school to and maybe later hack with it and be like Ean. Oh yea Ean do=
esn'y work for my Dad anymore. He just goes around all by himself working=
 for whever he chooses. He is so cool companies try to bribe him into emp=
loyment all the time and he turns everyone down so that he can work by hi=
mself in freedom. How cool is that?  But I lost  contact. He comes around=
 but not enough for me to get help I need help now. Please?  Will you guy=
s write back to me so I dont have to do something stupid and get involved=
 with an OS I dont want to and get lost in thte wrong thingz?............=
Robert, Hillsboro OR USA