Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:37:04 -0700
From:      Stephen Fisher <StephenTFisher@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interpreting ping response? (the POD lives??)

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:46:21AM -0500, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> Can anyone help me interpret the following output? I read the ping
> manpage, but came to the end before I learned much that helps me
> here....

> <kdk@eli> [/home/kdk] [16:25]
> #sudo ping -s 2048 app
> PING app.southuni.com (192.168.0.80): 2048 data bytes
> 36 bytes from app.southuni.com (192.168.0.80): Destination Host Unreachable

> Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst
> 4  5  00 05dc 07bd   0 0000  3f  01 1677 192.168.0.2  192.168.0.80

The device (router?) is sending a host unreachable message which can be
for a variety of reasons, the most common being that there is no route
available to the destination.  What address are you pinging from though?
You are trying to ping with a packet size of 2048 bytes (-s) but the MTU
of Ethernet is 1500 bytes.

You don't need to understand the information below to troubleshoot this
but here is an explanation anyway :)  It's just a dump of the IP packet
headers that came back in the destination host unreachable message:

Vr 4	   IP version 4
HL 5	   Packet header length
TOS 0	   Type of Service: Routine traffic
Len 05dc   Packet length in hex (1500 bytes)
ID 07bd	   Identification - unique number to tell the ICMP packets apart
Flg 0      Flags - 3 bits: 0 (reserved), 0 (fragment if necessary), 0
	   (last fragment)
Off 0000   Fragment offset (not used since it is not a fragment)
TTL 3f     Time to Live in hex (63 hops) - number of hops before packet
	   is discarded
Pro 01	   IP protocol type (01 = ICMP, what ping uses)
Cks 1677   Packet header checksum
Src	   Source address that sent the "host unreachable" message
Dst	   Recipient of the "host unreachable" message - your machine

--
Stephen Fisher
San Jose, CA USA