Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 00:32:04 +0200
From:      "Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>
To:        "Rowan Crowe" <rowan@sensation.net.au>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Webalizer oddness

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rowan Crowe" <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To: <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 12:07 AM

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Jim Weeks wrote:
>
> > Looking for another head on this one, because I am totally confused.
> >
> > After cleaning up httpd.conf and -HUPing httpd on one of my machines, I
> > noticed that the once a day run of webalizer isn't picking up on any
> > traffic logged after Oct, 4th. After examining the log files, I can see
> > that there hasn't been any gaps in logging, neither have I change the
> > format of the log entries.
> >
> > Here is where the oddness comes in.  If I copy one of the log files and
> > delete everything before the 5th, I can do a test run which accurately
shows
> > all traffic for the 5th through 7th.  If I delete dividual days, that
> > works too.  If the log is run in its entirety, everything after the 4th
is
> > ignored.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> How big are the log files? Any chance they're over 2Gb (2^31)? I've seen
> some strange things happen (at the application level) with log files over
> this size, presumably due to the use of a signed long. Your mention of
> deleting previous days made me wonder.
>
> Cheers.

The size of the log file is not the error in this case. i made a script
which runs (since a long time) daily all of the virtual servers. the
logfiles then are compressed and archived. so it is always only one day. the
smallest of this daily logs where it happens has about 200K, the biggest
about 70MB. it looks like webalizer is sceewed up with the .current file.

Karl