Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:45:07 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Torgeir Hoffmann <twhoffma@student.matnat.uio.no>
Cc:        questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 7-stable packages on 7.0-release system?

Torgeir wrote:
 > I assume that it is not advisable, but what can I expect to happen if
 > I try to use packages for 7-stable on a 7.0-release system?

No, it is not advisable. I tried:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-June/177553.html

As I said two weeks ago, that failure was predictable and the few
offenders could be found, but I had another weird problem that could
only be solved with recompile:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-July/179517.html

For the opposite, using packages from an earlier point, compatibility is
usually preserved, but not always, either:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-July/043950.html

Not having newer binary packages for the latest RELEASE is a shortcoming
on FreeBSD, but you will find many references that there are simply not
enough resources.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik