Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 97 10:23:10 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as T1 router

> I wonder if anyone else has results using FreeBSD on a WAN router.  This
> message is more of a progress report than a question...

I've been using an ET card for a year and a half (two?) years now.

> A couple months ago, we needed another ether interface on one of our WAN
> routers.  We had been using a Cisco 2501, which has only one ether
> interface and is not upgradable.  I persuaded my employer to let us try
> out an Emerging Technologies HDLC card in a PC running FreeBSD.  There
> was some grumbling from the Cisco loyalists - who ever got fired for
> buying Cisco?

The person who did not buy the second redundant power supply for the 75XX
class router - causing a multi day service outage when the supply blows
:-)  (that is not too funny...  have nearly seen it happen, someone was
on the fence about buying the second supply...  thankfully they did)

> We took advantage of slow work schedules and net traffic over the
> holidays to make the switch.  The FreeBSD/ET-based router runs 2.1.5-R
> and the latest driver bits from the ET ftp site.  It talks Cisco
> encapsulated HDLC over a T1 to a genuine Cisco router at the other end.
>
> It took about 3 hours to setup and configure FreeBSD on the PC, and
> another 2 hours to link in the ET driver bits and set things up.  We
> were able to use all factory settings on the ET-5025-16 card, and used
> the default setup file provided by ET for Cisco HDLC, without
> modification.  ET docs are lucid and thorough.
>
> We can add more ether slots on the system cheaply whenever we want, just
> by adding another SMC dual-port card.  The ET card we bought also has a
> second async port available for Frame Relay or point-to-point.
>
> It is a big win having FreeBSD admin tools on the router.  Ipfw allows
> us whatever level of logging detail we want on filtered packets.  We
> linked an operations kernel without bpf, and a diagnostic one with bpf.
> The latter allows us to run tcpdump on the WAN interface as well as on
> ether.

Yes, I have been pleased, too.  There are downsides: hard drives fail,
moving parts fail.  Sort of needs a FreeBSD-familiar person around.  But
I have been very happy.  I started out with a 386DX/40 running near
saturation loads.  Upgraded to a 486DX4/100 and PCI Ethernets...  still
works great.  Much cheaper than a Cisco.  With the money saved, I could
go buy a whole 'nother machine and still have money left over for a
pizza party.

In general, FreeBSD has been an excellent platform for all my computing
and networking needs.

:-)

... Joe