Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:36:05 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice with old equipment.

Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello all.
> I was wondering if you could give me your advice with the following.
>
> I have 2 "old" machines:
>
>         1 Pentium PRO DOUBLE Processor 200 Mhz. 256 RAM.2 Disks of 4 GB each one.
>         1 Pentium II 350 Mhz. 128 RAM. 2 Disks of 4 GB each one.
>
> Both machines have been running FreeBSD or NT4 for different periods of
> time without problems. Those were machines to use in any emergency. New
> equipment arrived and I need to decided what to do with them. The machines
> will run only as web servers with a database running some sites of the
> company.
>
> My question is. What would be your advice on which machine will perform
> better with FreeBSD? and Why?

Well, it depends on the P-II 350. If you have one with PC-100 memory,
it can out perform the dual machine by 50% because of the memory
bandwidth. The rule of 1.8 times the cpu speed for duals would have
the PPro only out performing a P-II 350 with PC-66 memory. If you need
parallel processes, then the dual machine can be faster but I can't
guess when.

I think a lot of people have webservers on older system. I think
either would be adequate unless your have a lot of cgi and then you
never have a fast enough cpu? The older one with 256MB does have an
advantage because when you start swapping. The effective memory speed
drops more than a factor of 2 or so. I usually tell people that it is
10ns vs 10ms but that isn't always a realworld fact.

Kent

> If you feel like answering me and not to waste bandwidth please do it here:
> jbiquez@icsmx.com
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> JB

Kent Stewart