Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:00:08 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help requested: splay fails, sound card is detected

Hello All -

I'm having a problem with splay.  This was working perfectly two days
ago.  Then the sound card (an Ensoniq AudioPCI card as device pcm0) stopped
working.  A hard reboot (power cycled) corrected it.  It worked for a day,
then stopped again.  Subsequent hard reboots aren't solving the problem now.

We're using "known-good" cables to connect the speakers, and the speakers
work on other systems.

Here's the dmesg line from the latest power cycle:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xd000-0xd03f irq 10 at device 11.0 on pci0

When you try and run splay, a message is returned that says "Failed to open
sound device".  No new packages have been added, no updates have been
performed, and splay has not been recompiled or reinstalled.

Any ideas, thoughts, or help would be greatly appreciated.  This isn't for
music or entertainment, we're using the sound card and speakers as an
audible alert system for network and system alarms.

Thanks in advance.

- John Turner