Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:03:51 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-ISP" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   logging messages to remote host w/syslogd

I am experiencing a problem with the syslogd.  For some unknown reason it
will not accept messages from remote hosts.  I have read the man pages and
searched the archives but no help.

On hostA, I have made the following change to rc.conf so that it can accept
remote messages:

syslog_syslogd_enable="YES"            # Run syslog daemon (or NO).
syslogd_flags="-a 10.0.0.1"          # Flags to syslogd (if enabled).

and added the following to syslog.conf

local7.*                /var/log/test.log

On the Portmaster 3 [10.0.0.1], I set the loghost to hostA and changed the
logging
priorities to use local7.

Now when I execute the command "show netconns" it displays:

Hnd Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
  4      0           0        portmaster.1023       hostA.514
UDP

I also tried another FreeBSD server to send its log messages to hostA and
this didn't work either.
I changed the ip address to hostB [ 10.0.0.2] for syslogd_flags, and changed
the syslog.conf on hostB:

local7.*                /var/log/test.log
local7.*                @hostA

NOTE: Both syslogd on  hostA, and hostB were restarted.

When I execute on hostB:

logger -p local7.notice Logging Test

The output appears in test.log on hostB, and doesn't show on hostA. If I
execute the same command on hostA, the output appears in hostA's test.log
file.

Any Ideas as to why it is not working?

Scot.