Date:      Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:07:02 -0500
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD Drive support on FreeBSD ?

nathan wrote:

> Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:
>
> > As far as I know ... most DVD drives are ATAPI standard .. so
> > anyone should work ... although I think only -current has the
> > DVD-ioctls implemented. I'm not sure if it is in -stable.
> >
> > I have a DVS 600 (6x DVD, 40X CD) DVD-ROM and it work perfectly
> > under 4.0-current (Jan 10)
>
> surely you can't watch DVD movies tho right??
>
> i thought because of the use of CSS (encryption), DVD's couldn't be
> viewed/copied without a "decoder"??
>
> enter DeCSS -->  http://www.2600.com/news/2000/0125.html
>
> just curious as to what all you CAN do with the DVD drive you're using :)
>
> Thanks for any info!!

In a previous message I said I would load BSD DVD 'stuff'. Ok,
it is where it should be. Also, the latest livid cvs for linux
has been loaded. It *should* be enough info to allow someone
with a player to view movies -- some code work needed I bet.

ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home/dutch/freebsd/

ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home/dutch/livid-cvs/

-d
----