Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:20:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirroring a CVSup server

Linh Pham <question@closedsrc.org> wrote:

> With more and more FreeBSD servers popping up in the company that I work
> for, I would like to mirror a CVSup server but make it available to only
> machines within our network or trusted machines. How would I go about
> setting up a CVSup server (like cvsup5.freebsd.org)

ports/net/cvsup-mirror

> and are there any documentation available on this topic?

Not really, but the cvsup-mirror port works smoothly even if you
don't understand its details.  John Polstra's CVSup FAQ provides some
additional information:

http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html

Oh, and don't forget the cvsupd(8) man page.  Some access control
is available.

> Also, how large is the entire CVSup server collection?

 18M	/home/ncvs/CVSROOT
437K	/home/ncvs/distrib
 78M	/home/ncvs/doc
168M	/home/ncvs/ports
808M	/home/ncvs/src
 20M	/home/ncvs/www

I don't have the gnats, live www, and mail archive collections
here, but I don't think that they add too much to the 1.1G above.
Some 2G should be plenty of space with sufficient reserve for some
future growth.

> I know the bottleneck is the Internet connection.

The primary bottleneck for CVSup servers and clients tends to be
the local disk.