Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 16:10:13 +0100
From:      bblack@allstor-sw.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD - Windows '98 performance

Please help!

I am running Samba 2.0.7 on a FreeBSD (4.1) RAID box. Copying files of
approximately 500Kb from a Windoze '98 box is giving absoultely dire
performance, in the region of 500Kb/s.

On the same network I have run the same test from NT - FreeBSD which gives
about 3.7Mb/s and from Windoze '98 - Linux (running Samba 2.0.7) which
gives around 4Mb/s so it appears the problem is to do with FreeBSD.

The fact that Win98 - Linux provides decent figures suggests it isn't a
Samba thing which was my first suspicion but I have reached the end of the
road with what to try next.

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ben Black