Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:24:25 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large disk laptop problems: Gateway Solo 9100 XL

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to ask for help partitioning the disk of my employers Laptop for
MS-Windows 9x and FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE-PAO.

The system is exhibiting all the symptoms of bad disk geometry (eg after
pressing F2 to boot FreeBSD the booteasy prompt reappears).

MS Windows occupies the first 3.5GB slice/MS DOS partition, the rest 4+GB is
FreeBSD.

The disk, an IBM-DYLA-28100 is reported by the BIOS as 15880 cyl/16 heads/ 63
sectors.

My colleague used FIPS to partition the disk and we attempted to install FreeBSD
- something we have many positive experiences doing - to no avail. I found that
the geometry reported by FDISK (in the partition disk part of sysinstall) was
not the same as the BIOS so I changed it but without helping.

Does the root partition of the FreeBSD slice need to be in the first 1024
cylinders ?

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.