Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:48 +0300
From:      Alexander Zagrebin <alex@zagrebin.ru>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.2-PRERELEASE: if_bridge ARP and broadcasts issues

Hi!

On 25.01.2011 18:25:10 +0200, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> > The reason is in ARP handling code: it looks for an address of the interface
> > belonging to a bridge, but there is not check that a bridge is the same.
> >
> > Attached patch (patch-if_ether.c) fixes the issue.
> >

> I tried your patch and it works for me.

Thanks for confirmation!

> > 2. Broadcasts issue
> >
> > I have a box with two NICs: re0 and wlan0. re0 and wlan0 are members of the
> > bridge0. re0 has IP address 192.168.1.1; wlan0 hasn't an address configured.
> > I have the samba installed. The smbd and nmbd listens on the 192.168.1.1.
> > There are no problems with the clients connected to the re0, but the samba
> > clients connected to the wlan0 has problems with the network browsing and
> > domain logons.
> > I've found that nmbd doesn't receive udp broadcasts received on the wlan0,
> > though bridge0 successfully retransmits this broadcast out of re0.
> > I've looked in the sources, and it seems that in this case subnet broadcasts
> > have to be handled in ether_output(), but this doesn't work anyway...
> >
> > Can anybody help to fix this issue?
>
> As far as I recall, the recommended setup is to assign IP addresses to
> the bridge interface, not the member interfaces. Could you try this?

Yes, when ip address is assigned to bridge0 or inbound interface
(wlan0 in this case) then there are no problems.
This may be used as workaround, but...
As there is no direct interdiction to use addresses bound to a member interfaces,
it seems it's a bug.

--
Alexander Zagrebin