Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 13:51:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 - Isa devices not being probed

> Speaking about bus_space_*(): Does it make the thing follow the PCI
> ordering rules? Very probably not since it is impossible on some system=
s.

There's no attempt to do this, no.  However, it's possible to implement =

this if there's a need.

> Typically, a driver may want to order some operations and also not brea=
> post buffering each time a write is performed. It may for example want =
> order some operations, but not flush all writes immediately. I didn't s=
ee
> how to tell bus about that.

The bus_space_barrier() interface takes the bus tag and handle as =

arguments, so the ordering operations can make decisions about how they =

should behave based on what you're operating on.

> Hmmm... That's the point I disagree on, btw. Inserting implicit barrier=
> in the back of drivers can only be either sub-optimal or sometime not
> match driver expectations about ordering. Bus interface should allow mo=
re
> flexibility to drivers regarding ordering, in my opinion.

I think Warner answered this, and he probably understood your point =

better; at the moment, the driver is solely responsible for managing =

ordering.  None of our current busspace backends perform any sort of =

ordering.

> By the way, as I wrote in my previous mail, I am unable to propose a
> better interface. I only wanted to point out that bus abstractions are =
far
> from being perfect. They make portability possible without too much cod=
> complexity, but when working on a driver, I think we must not forget th=
> reality of what actually happens inside the machine.

Just so.  The real joy, of course, comes when you're trying to make a =

drive behave "correctly" on a wide range of different machines.  8)

-- =