Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:50:41 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while inst

In message <200012132120.eBDLKr310117@mass.osd.bsdi.com>,
Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

>Also, the VESA code isn't in GENERIC, says he just looking.
>
>I'm sorry; I don't have any other great ideas.  Try a new video card. 8)

OK. I went today and bought a new ATI Xpert 98 video card.

I installed it into the system in question.

I tried to install FreeBSD again.

Still no-go.  I am getting EXACTLY the same error as before at EXACTLY
the same point in the process.

Another data point:  I had an old FreeBSD 3.3 CD lying around, so I tried
that, and sure enough it works!  No problems and I get past the kernel
initial boot.

So OK chaps... What does it all mean?

Based on the evidence, I am inclined to say that there is a definite bug
in the FreeBSD 4.1.1 generic kernel.  I mean hay!  FreeBSD 3.3 boots up
fine on the exact same hardware.

I have now tried swapping just about everything... CPU, memory, keyboard,
video card.  The only other thing left for me to try is to try ripping out
the SCSI card and associated drives.  I guess that I will do that, just
to be through, but really folks, this is looking a lot like a kernel bug.

Assuming that it is one, where should I turn for further assistance?