Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 13:26:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: New host key for freefall!

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Duane H. Hesser wrote:

> Sorry to bust in in the middle like this. This is the first message
> on this topic I've seen, so I haven't seen the "previous material",
> thus the comments/questions below may be irrelevant to the discussion
> at hand (if so, please forgive the intrusion).

It spilled over from a discussion on -committers which went off-topic. We
were talking about the benefits and obstacles to establishing a FreeBSD CA
for "project use".

> For some time, I have had an interest SDSI (Simple Distributed
> Security Infrastructure) by Ronald Rivest and Butler Lampson.  It
> has a simple elegance which appeals to me, although I have not yet
> had much opportunity to work with it.
>
> Would this infrastructure be of interest in your current discussion?

Frankly, there's no shortage of proposals for a public-key infrastructure
flying around the internet, so I'm not sure what the particular benefits
of this one are :-)

Plus, the license on the software disallows commercial use, which means it
can't be integrated into FreeBSD as part of a larger infrastructure :-/

Kris

----