Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:09:34 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        andrei <admin@zeyas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quick help ...

On 2004-12-28 18:34, andrei <admin@zeyas.com> wrote:
> Hi guys .... i was able to get the kde installed and i must say ... was
> beyound my expectations ... but the only thing that i was unable to
> get/understand is:

> 1. When i restart my computer i get a screen with 7 options ... i just
> press enter for the defaul and it enters FreeBSD ... do i have to do
> that every time i restart or there is a quicker way?

Yes.  The menu is there to make it easy for you to boot FreeBSD with or
without ACPI, in safe or default mode, etc.  You can always get a
bare-bones boot by setting the following in your /boot/loader.conf file:

	beastie_disable="YES"

Then you will have to manually set acpi_load="NO" or other boot loader
stuff that is quickly accessible from the menu, if you need something
like that later on, but it's ok.

> 2. I don't get a logon screen i still have to log into root or andrei
> and use startx (since i couldn't find sessions in login manager (under
> system administration).

To get a graphical logon screen, you need to enable xdm or another
desktop manager in /etc/ttys.  This is described in the Handbook.

See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

> 3. My user account which is andrei doesn't have a Gui (kde since is
> the only one installed and the only one that i'll use. ... i have
> modified the Xsession (added just kde) and Xsetup_0 (added
> /usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop) and ttys (changed the xdm to kdm) ...

What are the exact modifications you made?

What path was the Xsession file you modified in?

- Giorgos