Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: march/mcpu in bsd.cpu.mk

On 01-Aug-2002 Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> I think, it is fairly easy to make it support all things _CPU_CFLAGS may
> try to contain in the future. Whatever is being added to the _CPU_CFLAGS
> (mmx, sse) can first be checked for.

I don't.  I think that you don't just have to block -march=foo, you may
need to block any number of other '-mfoo' options that are architecture
specific and that that will end up being very ugly and hard to maintain.

> = CPUTYPE is optional, and part of CPUTYPE are the NO_CPU_CFLAGS and
> = NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS variables which are very clearly documented right
> = beside CPUTYPE in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf as I have already
> = pointed out to you.
>
> You have. And I responded to you, that /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
> is fairly obscure, and that this flags are not (yet?) in make.conf(5)
> and appeared long after the CFLAGS, which, on my machine, for example,
> contained -march=pentiumpro for _years_.

Funny that I don't have that response in my inbox.  Anyways, CPUTYPE
isn't documented in make.conf(5) at all and I suggested you do that.