Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:27:48 -0500
From:      Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major version changes using portupgrade?

On 2011/12/02, at 05:19, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

> I was expecting the following to work:
> sudo portupgrade -rf -o databases/postgresql91-client =
databases/postgresql84-client
>=20
> However, I'm running into a problem where the ports makefiles, and by =
extension portupgrade, are detecting that the two packages conflict, and =
so the 9.1 client won't even build[1].

Thanks to those who tried to help. =20

After poking around in the Mk files A LOT, I eventually stumbled upon a =
solution.  Not sure if this is "right" or not, but it worked:

> sudo portupgrade -M DISABLE_CONFLICTS=3D1 -rf -o =
databases/postgresql91-client databases/postgresql84-client

Surprisingly, despite the -f, none of the dependencies were rebuilt.. I =
got warnings like this instead, for every dependency:
--->  Skipping 'databases/postgresql91-client' (apache-2.2.21) because =
it has already done

However, the +REQUIRED_BY file was still rebuilt properly for the 9.1 =
client, so I can now easily go through and do dependency rebuilds as =
necessary.

Cheers,
   Matt