Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Chris Parry <laotzu@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, alex@nac.net
Subject:   RE: DPT support binaries - How to Setup

On 20-Jun-98 Chris Parry wrote:

> Alex, thanks for the notes, I have my own opinions there, but they aren't
> really relavent for this.  My assumption is I need to have a DOS bootable
> partition somewhere with the storage management software on it (or
> perhaps
> I could get away with doing it from floppy), then setup my RAID-1 device,
> which will then simply appear as /dev/sd0 from the FreeBSD side of
> things.
>
> Is this correct?

Yup.  I typically have slice (DOS partition) 1 as a small (64MB or less)
DOS partition.  I have customers who do not want to pay the DOS royalties,
nor do they want to violate federal copyright laws by installing DOS on a
disk, when it will practically never be used.  These people choose to do
the work from floppy.  I use IBM PC-DOS, so as to minimize the payment to
M$.

Simon