Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:17:16 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uname -m/-p for compat32 binaries

Just checked, and I was a little off.  We don't actually do this in the =
kernel, we override it in the environment UNAME_ variables.  All of our =
software that wants to look at the machine arch uses uname to do it, so =
we go that route.  That way, we're not really lying to anything that =
wants to get the definitive answer from the hw.machine architecture.  I =
can't defend it any further than that, maybe Peter or Paul or John can =
comment on it.  I personally don't see one way as being better than the =
other, as they both have potential problems.  As you noted in your =
previous email, it's an easy change that could have been done long ago; =
maybe the fact that it hasn't points to a good reason not to.

Scott