Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:18:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      vagner@www.timandpatrick.com
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Subject:   Re: Idiot seeks brain.

I have been using freebsd since version 2.2.2 (about 2 years) now
and came from almost the same environment as you, I new NOTHING
about networking and am unsure if i know anything now...although
I can uasually get it to talk. You will find that the people
associated with the questions list are a VERY intelligent people
and know their stuff, therefore you might find you will get
sometimes less than appropriate answers from some people
it is because they are SO far ahead of us that our questions
or actions are stupid to them. How do we know if we dont ask stupid
questions to find out.

One of the problems I find is that FreeBSD and the packages/ports
change so rapidly that i find myself buying book after book to keep
up with the changes.  EG: bind, Sendmail, Complete FreeBSD rev 1 2 3.,
Another problem is that the FreeBSD website is less than "user friendly"
and i think that is due to the nature of unix bieng less than
"user friendly" ( you better know what your doing cause it will destroy
itself with out even asking).

I dont claim to be any type of unix or network guru, I am average joe
trying to make a excellent OS "work for me" and so far it does 80 percent
of what i need it to do, granted some of the software is less than "stable"
or "forgiving" but windows has its share of this kind of software too.

As far as the OS goes I think i had 3 times in 2 years that the actual
Operating system crashed, one was running out of swap

E-Mail: vagner@vagner.com or kf7nn@kf7nn.com
Date: 11-Aug-99
Time: 15:16:29

Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

This message was sent using FreeBSD Unix.