Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:23:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        Stefan Bethke <Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating bootable Syjet install disk

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Stefan Bethke wrote:

> Have you tried a plain kernel? Maybe it stops booting due to some
> other problem.

    Yep... I made a minimal filesystem from my /, /var and /usr
filesystems off my main drive.  It boots into multiuser mode just
fine.

> Unfortunatly, the current Makefile does not allow for building a new
> boot floppy, although it would be quite convenient to be able to do
> that. It probably would need some work to untangle the boot floppy
> build from the release build.

    The Makefile seems to have some floppy-specific lines in it,
although if the bootable CD-ROM is made from the same image, why won't
it work on other types of devices?  I mean, if you were to take the
boot.flp kernel file and copy it to your hard drive, would you expect
to be able to boot off of it?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)