Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:46:42 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting channels on wi0

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 05:28:26PM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
> Having just got new wireless network toys, of course I've been playing
> with them.  One thing I noticed almost immediately is that there are
> several other companies on channel 6 --- which (contrary to the man
> page) appears to be the default configuration of the cards.  I can
> tell this because "tcpdump" spits out lots of traffic that's not mine.
>=20
> Since I'd rather have my 11Mb to myself, I set about changing the
> channel of the cards.  No go.  Here's my terminal capture:

The channel setting only matters if you are in adhoc mode.  You are in
intrastructure mode and thus the card ignores your attempt to set the
channel and instead chooses the best access point.  FYI, the only
channels worth using are 1, 6, and 11 because that's the only way to get
three non-overlapping channels.

-- Brooks

--=20

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2