Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 05:32:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Malament <danielm@j51.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   various

I have a number of questions I've been building up...

1) I have a 2.2.8 box on which I've tried two nics: a generic
NE2000-compatible PCI (ed1) and a 3com 3c509 ISA (ep0).  For comparison, I
transferred 600M of files to another machine on the network (the only
other one up right now, in fact).  It took half an hour with the PCI.
(Average of 333 KB/s.)  With the 3Com, I didn't let it finish because it
was giving me transfer rates of 30K/sec!!!  Anybody know why I'm getting
such slow performance out of the 3com?  Are all ISA nics this slow?  For
that matter, how much bandwidth can one expect a card to use in general?
What prevents getting the full 10MB?  Buffer delays?

2) Is there any particular difference in performance between an internal
modem and an external, provided the serial port has a 16550A UART?

3) What's the current status of FreeBSD's USB support?

4) Does FreeBSD fully support 100MB Ethernet?  As of what version?

5) Should I not have crossposted this? :)

Thanks,
Dan