Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:55:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

> Speaking of sizes and ports, is anyone else totally sick of the ungodly
> number of files in /usr/ports? It to me is absolutely disgusting. It takes
> several minutes to to any type of "find" in /usr because of them.

Then don't run your find in /usr/ports. :-)

I hope you'll pardon me for saying so, but this has got to be one of
the stupidest posts I've ever read and rivals the "it has too many
notes!" scene in Amadeus.  I can only hope that the fine folks at
Atipa are just having a Really Bad Day and will send a follow-up
posting shorting admitting that Kevin probably should have been kept
away from the keyboard after 5:00pm and simply gotten dead drunk
instead. :-)

The ports collection has a very deliberate design with many advantages
if one actually understands it (and few do, with many more only
thinking that they do :), and its layout is neither disgusting nor
ridiculous.  It is now time for Kevin to go lie down. :-)

- Jordan