Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:14:51 -0500
From:      Jerry Dunham <dunham@dunham.org>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cheapest laptop for FreeBSD? winmodems?

On Thu,  3 August 2000 at  0:44:55 -0500, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> In message <398905DE.F44D9BDA@S1.com>, Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote:
> }
> }> Well, be careful what you wish for: it _has_ two slots, but only one is
> }> usable at a time according to my reading of their point-of-sale
> }> propaganda
> }> (one is type III and one is type II).
> }>
> }
> } as I understand this "Type II / Type III" stuff is that a Type III
> } PC-Card is twice as thick (usually) as a Type II, thus you can fit only
> } one Type III card into the slot. Type III devices, I believe, can be
> } things like disk-drives and such, needing both PC-busses to transfer
> } data at a 'reasonable' rate. I could be wrong about this last.
> }
> } AFAIK you can have 2 x Type II devices in the machine at the same time.
>
> That might be; the propaganda clearly stated that you could have one
> type II _OR_ one type III, but I admit to knowing nothing more about
> PCMCIA than was necessary to make my card work.  Looking at the profile
> though, I see my 16 bit card is too wide to fit in the "top" slot, so
> if it's a type II, you definitely couldn't put two of it in at once.

Call 'em what you will, these days PCMCIA cards come in two basic sizes,
thin and fat.  Some PCMCIA slots will only take one thin one, but most
will take either one fat one, or two thin ones.  I can't imagine why
anyone would design a slot that would take a fat one or ONLY ONE thin
one.  That just doesn't make sense.  I suspect the bug is in your
documentation.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                (512)335-0674 (H)
jdunham@fc.net                                           jerry@dunham.org

  To vacillate, or not to vacillate, that is the question ... or is it?