Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:13:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop picks?

> The task of comping up with an accurate "These systems work with freebsd"
> list is pretty impossible, so we say that "these components work with
> freebsd".  However, with respect to laptops, you pretty much get a
> package deal; there is little lattitude for replacing various subsystem.
> As such, I think it might would be a good idea to compile a list of
> successful laptop installations.  Thoughts?  Judging from the mailing
> list, keyborads, video (for X) and power management seem to be the
> biggest issues.  Am I wrong?
>

> -john

IBM Thinkpad 365CSD with ATAPI CD -- works out of the box with 2.1-RELEASE
ATAPI kernel.  (I'd love to figure why it hangs when I add APM to the
kernel though -- it doesn't even fully boot.).

X runs 640x480 -- I've got to work a bit more on the settings for 800x600
and 1024x768 -- the thing's got a 1meg local bus video motherboard
with the CT65545 chip set.

The PS/2 mouse works with both the Trackpoint III built in and the
PS/2 3 button mouse I attached. (Took a while to find a 3 button PS/2 mouse).

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |