Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 05:37:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        dg@root.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

 * Of all people to make this mistake.  Okay, I got this old box, I need
 * to grab a port for it, but I need to know if I want the port from
 * the 2.2, 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 cdrom.  Yea, I updated the box a couple times,
 * but it still should run any port from the correct cdrom, or for that
 * matter from the archives on the ftp site.

And you don't even know how to figure out when the last source update
was?  You have a bigger problem than figuring out which CDROM you
need, Rod. ;)  (Hint: "sysctl kern.osreldate")

Besides, the ports tree on the CDROM is not compatible with the
-stable in the future (how can it be?).  The compatibility goes in the
opposite direction.

 * > Besides, if I show you a uname that says "3.0-CURRENT Fri Jan 18
 * > 13:56:36 PST 1998", can you tell whether it's before or after 3.0R?
 *
 * Nope, not if Jordan insistes on continuing to equate a variable named
 * REVISION to a management tool called cvs and it's branch tags :-(

You are missing the point.  What I'm saying is that "3.0-CURRENT" is
going to mean both pre- and post-3.0 release even with your proposed
change.

Satoshi