Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:36:06 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates on root in 4.5-RELEASE

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 10:24 am, Burhan Nazir wrote:
> Softupdates will not write any data immediatly to the disk.  I believe
> it is about 30 seconds b4 any data actually gets wriiten.  This enhances
> disk write speed for certain types of operations.  However, there is a
> small risk of data loss/coruption if the machine looses power b4 any data
> was written.  For that reason, ppl believe that it is not a good idea to
> have softupdates on the system critical root partition

I think it's more a matter of avoiding it on partitions that are likely to be
rather full and fairly small, since the delay in processing deletes means
that you effectively lose a certain amount of disk space due to processing
time.

Thus, if you

rm /bit/honking/directory/*
operation-that-write-to-disk

you can easily run out of disk space as the second operation starts writing
long before the first operation actually returns space to the system.

I personally make the root partition larger and enable soft-updates but
disable write-caching.  This seems much safer than the system default way of
doing things to me, but with nearly equal performance.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org