Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:03:17 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kek971@mail.usask.ca>
Subject:   Re: max ram?

> 1.How many rams can be supported on freebsd box?

not sure, someone else will have to answer this one....i think "lots" is probably the best
I can do. Probably limited by the motherboard in the computer rather than the OS, but as I
said, someone else will have to help you out with this.

> 3.Sould I really upgrade new kernel rather than generic one?
> What is pros & cons?

the only reason to change from the GENERIC kernel is if you need support for some
non-standard hardware, or wish to optimise the kernel by taking out unused device drivers.
This is not so much an upgrade to the kernel as just recompiling it from source.

Upgrading the kernel goes hand in hand with when you upgrade the rest of the OS - if it's
public facing you should track any security updates/warnings, but other than that you
shouldn't need to upgrade the kernel/OS. Kernel upgrading in the linux sense are not
required, as far as I know.

Hope this helps, and as ever, I could be wrong :-)

Mark