Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   any faster way to rm -rf huge directory?

Thanks to a programmer-induced glitch in a data-pushing perl script, we
are the proud owners of a directory with (currently) a quarter million
files in it.  The directory is on a vinum partition striped across three
seagate baracudas, with soft-updates being used.

I did "rm -rf <dirname>" to clean up the directory, and that was
Monday.  At the current rate of deletions (just under 10/minute), it's
going to be a week or two before it gets done, as it should get faster
once the directory gets smaller.

I understand at a technical level why it is going so slow, so I'm not
complaining (I'm the one that insists that any directory with over 10,000
files be split up).   My question is, short of backing up the rest of the
disk, newfs, and restore (not an option, this is the main partition of a
live server), is there a faster way to do this?  Not a critical issue, as
we have plenty of room, and despite the fact that all the drive lights are
flickering madly nonstop, the system's performance isn't off too much,
so it's more a matter of curiosity.