Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:04:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, roell@blah.a.isar.de, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

>What a SIGIO based scheme does is interrupt whatever computation is
>going on, read the packet from the socket, timestamp it, and put it
>into a queue to be processed at some later time.  Once you've noted
>the arrive time, the time criticality is gone, and you can process it
>at your leisure.

This doesn't help much if there are `M' higher priority hoggish
interrupt handlers that run before the packet's interrupt handler,
and `N' other hog processes in the kernel or in user code that run
before the SIGIO is delivered.

>From what I can see, there are four alternatives to the SIGIO scheme:
>- OS support for timestamps.  I prototyped this in the original ntp3.4

I think this is essential, not an alternative.   You still have to
worry about higher priority hoggish interrupt handlers.

>Response time isn't really the problem so much as precision in marking
>an event, such as packet arrival.  If you pay reasonable care to all
>this, you can get the phase (that is, offset) of the local clock to
>within single digits of milliseconds over a somewhat reasonable
>quality network path, like an local ethernet.  Heck, you can even tell
>the temperature of the room your computer is in by calibrating the
>frequency offset of the computer's clock based on the effect the
>temperature has on the crystal oscillator.

>Of course, some of us are really weird this way.  That how we end up
>with PLL models of the computer's clock in the kernel.

Some of us wouldn't settle for an offset of 7 digits of nanoseconds :-).

Bruce