Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:29:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cloaking Apache mod_ssl

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote to freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hello,
> I'd like to have my Apache sending out bogus information about the
> running daemon. I understand that I can alter
> define SERVER_BASEVERSION "Apache/1.3.12"
> in httpd.h to get it sending other strings about the daemon itself,

How about just turning server signatures off altogether?

httpd.conf:

ServerSignature		Off

> but how can I get rid of those mod_ssl and OpenSSL statements? Any
> inputs would be appreciated.

Why would you want to?  Exploitability reasons?  Most of the time that's a
moot point, anyway.  If a user has an exploit for web server A, she's
probably not even going to look at a server signature.  She's just going
to try it anyway and see if it works.  (And hey, maybe web server B has
the same problem)

If you're doing it for export reasons (i.e., to slip the legalities under
someone's nose), I suspect you won't get much support.  Besides, it's the
encryption algorithms and keysizes that are protected, not the server
signatures ;-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2