Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 09:47:21 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        mike@minivend.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (forw) Back door in Minivend

I've checked the lists, and no, your program does not
appear to be the one which was reported to have a back
door. I stand corrected.

The only thing that appears to be harmful about the
program is that it is GPLed. You really SHOULD consider
using a truly free license! According to Bruce Perens,
the next version of the GPL will impose nasty conditions
upon service providers and merchants who use GPLed code,
such as requiring them to reveal all of their in-house
additions to it even if they do not redistribute it.

--Brett

At 08:06 AM 5/15/2000, Mike Heins wrote:

>Would appreciate it if you would correct your misstatement
>on the freebsd mail lists (I am not a subscriber). Thanks.
>
>Mike
>----- Forwarded message from Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com> -----
>
>Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 00:03:59 -0400
>From: Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com>
>To: lunatic@insane.net
>Subject: Back door in Minivend
>
>I can assure you that there are no author-inserted back doors
>in Minivend, as I am the author. 8-)
>
>The source is completely open, is GPL, and has been examined by quite
>a few people.  If you hear of any security problems, let me know.
>
>I am positive that there has not been a vulnerability posted
>to Bugtraq; certainly one of the thousands of Minivend users
>would have brought that to my attention.
>
>If you could post this to the freebsd mail list I would
>appreciate it, as I don't have access to it.
>
>Regards,
>Mike Heins
>--
>Internet Robotics, 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
>phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mikeh@minivend.com>
>
>Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock
>
>----- End forwarded message -----
>
>--
>Internet Robotics, 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
>phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mikeh@minivend.com>
>
>Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
>It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
>you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.

If nothing else, the brain is an educational toy. -- Tom Robbins